Sunday, July 13, 2008

Will someone please put Uncle Dale to bed?

I was downstairs reading to the girls and Kierra was successful at getting Dale to sleep. Matt doesn't usually travel much, but he is gone again, and so once again I am having someone else help me with bedtime routines. We really are having so much fun with Dale here. I even got to go to a Jon Schmidt fireside with him tonight. (I was hoping to have pictures of that, but it was in the chapel instead of the gym.) As I was sitting at the fireside I was feeling like the worst friend in the world. I'm sorry that I didn't let some of you know about the fireside. I was remembering when Heather took me to see him when I first moved here. He was a little more low key at a Sunday fireside than he was at the high school, but he was still amazing. I had to play the opening and closing song with him sitting right there--talk about intimidation. Actually, worse than that was last year when we sang a Jenny Phillips song for a musical number at a fireside she did. I had to play HER song with HER sitting right there. That was wierd.

I do have one more thing about today. In my Lehi Roundup Post I talked about my friend that lost her brother in Iraq. That happened a year ago this Thursday. Today in Sacrament Meeting I played the song that they asked me to do for his funeral. There was such a special spirit helping me through that song. Music really is an amazing thing! I love the scripture in Doctrine and Covenants that says, "The song of the righteous is a prayer unto me." Jon Schmidt talked a lot about having that constant need of the spirit. He said that whenever we can kneel we should, but our Father also hears every pause and plea of prayer to Him. I love knowing that I can communicate with my Heavenly Father through music. When I am having a tough day or trying to find answers, all I have to do is sit at the piano and I can feel His presence. Mom and Dad you are awesome for "forcing" us to take piano! I have had so much fun listening to Dale play these last couple of days. He is so talented!! I love being asked to play! I try to never turn down that opportunity and I think of you guys every time I sit to play. Anyway, I've rambled long enough. Life is good. Dale is da man! Good night!!

6 comments:

DJ Stauffer said...

Ohhhh...Dale, please come live in my town!

Michelle said...

hey kandice! We were down here, but only for about 12 hours this time... (up in layton for the rest of brandon's family thing). We'll be back in two weekends for a 5 day jaunt or so...let's FOR SURE get together then. :)

Lauren said...

Driving... the episodes are all on my blog, I think in June. :) Check them out. They are hilarious! If you're ever in AZ, let us know!

Camille said...

I am sure you played beautifully -- you are the best pianist I know. I don't know who Jon Schmidt is???

bryony said...

So hey . . . we found you guys by way of Loren and Ginger, though now that we look there are few other ways we could have gotten here to your blog. You guys look great -- and your girls are so darling. Hope you don't mind if we drop in to see how you're doing every now and then. :)

Anonymous said...

Kandice!! oh my gosh!! I can't believe I found you! Your family is beautiful and I hope all is well.