Friday, April 16, 2010

A Lesson Learned


So I know you spiritually in-tune friends and family will definitely come up with the perfect gospel analogy here. Who better to give you the example of making a wrong choice than yours truly?! Those of you that live in this area see these road closed/detour signs everywhere!! Of course we need to be thankful for them because once that road is done it is going to be amazing! However, they have messed with our running routes! Last Saturday I decided I didn't care and I was going to do my 6.2 miles! It was my first time ever running that much and I couldn't wait to accomplish it! So, I ignored the first road closed sign because "thru traffic" didn't apply to me. I was a runner! The next road closed sign I debated. It was 6 am on a Saturday and no one was around....no one was working on the road....maybe it would be ok to cross it. However, it did look like there might be recently poured concrete, so maybe I shouldn't. Just as I was coming up to it and about to go a different route a work truck went by driving along the new road just fine. I figured he knew what he was doing and since he was on it I was good to go. The new road is pretty cool. I crossed it just fine with my head up looking around at all the work they had been doing. I made it to the other side completely envisioning how it would all look when it was done....then UGGGHHHH....belly flop onto the ground! I wish I could describe it better. Something completely took my legs out from under me. To this day I have yet to see exactly what it was. A very invisible wire was probably placed all along that part of the road to keep the "animals" off the wet concrete. I don't know why it was there or why it was just on the one side of the road and not the other, but you can definitely see a picture of it across my right knee! I even looked back to see the wire, but really it was invisible (with a few little orange ribbons tied to it) It killed! But hey!! I still got up and finished my 6.2 miles! There's got to be a great talk in there somewhere. :) I need an official 10k race now with marked paths that keep me on the "strait/straight and narrow".

Hey at least my girls know how to follow the rules of running! Here they are in the school walk-a-thon earlier today!




7 comments:

Wastlund Family said...

Ouch! I can just imagine it. you can come run the enterprise 10K with me in July. It is a great run (mostly down) :)

Take my advice and begin a runners journal. You will be amazed how many things like that happen :0

Carolyn said...

Wow...ouch! That's terrible! I'm so impressed that you finished your run anyway.

Heather said...

That is one AMAZING bruise!

Becky said...

Scott just spent the last 5 minutes explaining to me what that string line is for. Basically the curb making machine follows that string line to pour the concrete curbs straight. Are you getting ready for a specific 10k race?

The Gardner Family said...

That's funny Becky!! I really did wonder what it was for! I'm glad I was able to start up a great conversation piece for you guys tonight! :) Kim had told me about the Bridal Veil Falls 10k over Memorial Day weekend, but I guess it doesn't exist this year, so I have to find another one. I was really excited about that one too! There are tons more over the sumemr. Are you doing any races this summer? If you know of others around here you'll have to let me know! I've never done a 10k, so that's my big goal for the summer! Maybe I'll have to head to St. George in July. (Is that where the enterprise 10k is Amber?)

Brad and Hailey said...

Wow that looks like it hurts! Ouch! I hope it doesn't impead your running!

Meggen said...

Ohhhh, OUCH, Kandice! That is a doozie! As someone who tends to be a little accident prone while running, I feel for you! But, there's nothing like a good war wound to start an interesting conversation. Plus, think of the great gospel applications you can make from that experience, Kandice! ;o)