Monday, December 27, 2010

LASIK

Yes! A very strange post to have right smack in the middle of all of the Christmas posts, but that's what we did! We decided to have my eyes fixed right in the middle of the busiest time of the year!

I have had tons of people ask me about it and I LOVE to talk about it, so this will be a long explanation. If you are debating having it done, read on. If you have already had it done, you can read on and celebrate how wonderful it was when you got it done. Or no one has to read this and you can just skip to the ugly picture of me in glasses and be glad that I never have to wear those things again!!

So, this is something we have thought about doing for years. I even had the surgery completely scheduled about 4 years ago but then we found out I was pregnant with Kierra and I wasn't allowed to do it. When I went to the appointments back then I had gone by myself and so I was a little nervous that I didn't completely understand what was going on. So this time Matt came with me. We finally decided to just call and get a consultation right away and then our plan WAS to go in mid January, when life slowed back down to normal, and have the surgery.

We went in for the consultation on the 13th, Monday morning and everything went very well and we were excited. The scheduler said they had an opening for Wednesday the 15th. I said no way...this is the last week of school. I have concerts I have to play the piano for on Tuesday, Sunday and Monday. I have 2 school Christmas programs on Thursday and 1 on Friday that I have to SEE! We have a big New Year's trip planned with bright sun and swimming! I'm sure the guy was laughing hysterically on the inside. He just said, "You'll be fine." And somehow we decided to go through with it. Luckily my parents were already coming for Tuesday's concert (previous post) so we called them to see how long they could stay the morning after. As long as they could be back in Laramie for a Cowgirl basketball game that night they would stay and watch kids! ;)

Wednesday morning was the surgery. I was a little nervous, but the people at Hoopes Vision were awesome! (still not sure if there is a relation there or not....we just assumed distant cousins) It was a little weird and I'm sure the valium helped a ton because watching the video of it later was a little creepy. (I do have a video and I actually have fun showing it to anyone that wants to see it!) I was in the office for about 3 hours and could see as soon as it was done. It was a little fuzzy and the sun was killer so they tell you to take a nap right away. I took a 2 hour nap and woke up seeing perfectly. In fact, the next morning I was seeing nearly 20/15, and even made it back from my post-op on time to SEE all Christmas programs! Amazing!!

My eyes still get a little bit dry....especially if I stay up too late and if I'm not good about the eye drops, but it's not any worse then it was with contacts and the dryness is becoming less and less!

So, if you are thinking of getting it done....I say GO FOR IT!! I LOVE it!! My kids woke me up on Christmas morning and I didn't have to go searching for my glasses to see who it was! :) Camping and swimming are going to be awesome! :) Merry Christmas to me!! Matt says the warm cookies they give at the office were the most expensive cookies he's ever eaten....and this is my Christmas/birthday for a few years to come! :) Oh well....totally worth it!!


3 comments:

Kathleen said...

That's great, Kandice!! You are right...swimming and camping are going to be awesome! Merry Christmas:)

Lauren said...

LUCKY! Joseph and I want to do this SO bad! Glad it worked out for you! Woohoo!

Brad and Hailey said...

That's great! Thanks for the info! I have been thinking about it for a long time. I'm glad it went so well for you!