Wednesday, September 17, 2008

No Excuses!

Ok--this is it. No more excuses. I NEED YOUR INPUT! (Skip down to the last paragraph if you are already bored with this blog) Ok--If you have been in my house at all over the summer you have seen the dust and the unvacuumed and unmopped floors (I'm pretty sure unvacuumed and unmopped aren't real words). Well, the carpet guys are here, which means the basement is done; which means no more saying, "Sorry about the mess--we're working on the basement", and no more, "Well, if the basement was done I'd have more room to stay organized." (I'm sure I can come up with other excuses though, like, "If only I had really nice cabinets here to keep things organized.")

After working on the basement I've decided I really want to take better care of our walls, our baseboards, our DOORS! (click here if you have forgotten) Oh those doors! our light fixtures, our windows and window treatments our new carpet etc. etc. Now, I know that I am a mom and my kids need to feel like they can live in this house, but after working as hard as we did on this project I have even more motivation to take better care of it and the rest of our home. Here is where all of you come in.

LAST PARAGRAPH ;) In a perfect world how do you clean your house? How do you keep track of those once a week, once a month, conference weekend chores? Part of me wants the perfectly organized calendar that tells me exactly what to clean on which days. Maybe that isn't practical. I'm just very curious if there are any websites, spreadsheets or other tools that you use to keep you motivated and organized. Now really--I want comments or emails about this, even if you think I'm crazy for wanting to be so "Type A" organized. Thanks!! ;)

7 comments:

Samantha said...

So I have NO tips for you (sorry)since I have no control over my own house! But I would LOVE to see what other people have to say! Keep us posted on all the great advice you get! Yeah for a finished basement! Good luck!!

DJ Stauffer said...

I find that I get VERY BORED with a set schedule of cleaning by day or by week so I do a chore jar. I wrote down all those annoying things that need to be done in each room (walls, clean closets, drawers, etc) on slips of paper, roll them up and put them in a jar. If I find i have a free moment I pull from the jar. Seems a little more exciting with the suspense factor. I CANNOT return the slip to the jar. I have to do it unless it's something not necessary. For example...if I pulled out "deep clean kids bathroom" it would be okay to put that back in the jar because Joey's "aim" causes me to deep clean at least 3 times a week. This week I pulled out "organize file cabinet in computer room." I desperately wanted to put that one back because I DONT want to do it, but it needs to be done so now I will tackle it slowly, but surely (while still doing my everyday cleaning tasks). Organizing file cabinets is nice when the kids are asleep and you're up late chatting with your hubby, watching ball games or political crap on TV. I have a list of all the things I keep in my jar if you'd like me to share. I'm sure there's a better way, but this works for me at this stage of the game.

DJ Stauffer said...

Oh...and dusting...if you still need an excuse to NOT do that, then move to southwest wyoming because NO ONE is crazy enough to do it...dust is back by the evening.

The Gardner Family said...

Hey Rock Springs girls! ;) Samantha--I would still LOVE to do an IKEA run with you sometime to get ideas for organizing this craft and sewing STUFF! DJ--I really like the jar idea and want your list--could you email it to me? I still remember and try to live by our old rule of clean and organize as if you are moving soon. Hopefully that will help me keep out the clutter.

Jen said...

So, I can give you a website that I used to check out about cleaning tips, organization, and how to tackle those "have to do, but don't want to do jobs..." I do have to give a warning though... I signed up for their website and ended up being too overwhelmed with all of the information, so use at your own risk! Anyway, here it is... www.flyladies.com It gives some great ideas and some quick clean-ups that I really liked. Let me know if this helps or hurts you! :) I do like the jar idea! But I don't know that I would be that motivated to do something like that. I'll have to think about that one for a while!

Ginger said...

The fly lady is good. But I do hated all the email that comes with it. I did print out some really great "Detailed Cleaning Lists" for different "Zones" in my house. It's pretty good.

Camille said...

You already know that I am totally Type A, so you probably won't like this idea. I have all of my monthly tasks in my Microsoft Outlook as recurring tasks. At the beginning of each month they all pop up as current tasks (things that I only do once a month, like clean on top of the refrigerators, etc.) and I have the goal to do 3 items each day. Once I check them off on my "tasks" list they don't appear again until the beginning of the next month. Some of them I really hate to do -- for instance, it is almost the end of September and "dusting" is still in my tasks. I bet if we had a clean house contest your house would beat mine for sure, even with the remodeling dust.
Hey, do we have the same birthday?