Saturday, May 21, 2011

Women's Conference


I LOVE Women's Conference! Thousands of women gathered together in the Marriott Center and all around campus in Provo to serve, laugh and learn together. I LOVE my Book Club girls that I get to share this experience with! Heather and I sang in the choir together and one of the songs that we sang was "Each Life That Touches Ours For Good". I remember this hymn as I think back on Laramie and my college days a little bit, but wow, the words were so powerful as I sat and sang them with one of my best friends and thought of all my best friends near and far. I have always been blessed with "Christ-like friends whose gentle ways, strengthen my faith, enrich my days!"

The first day it was just 4 of us! We loved doing the take and make projects that go to those in need, and I even did some recruiting for a young women cross-stitch project that I'm working on.


There was 6 of us on day 2 and then we got to meet up with 2 more for dinner!
We even brought them fun treats so they wouldn't feel left out! ;)


Something new we did this year, that I really loved and didn't know if I would, was to go into the service learning rooms and do some service projects while we listened to the speakers. I spent most of my time cross-stitching, but I did crochet a receiving blanket while the other girls made these cute headbands for cancer patients and other cute flowers and projects. Look at us working so hard!


Keeping my hands going really helped me to listen better and I didn't think it would. I was still able to take some great notes. I've been posting some on Facebook, so hopefully I won't duplicate too much.

Sometimes I can have a really hard time coming home from big events like women's conference or girls' camp or even conference weekends. I get all these goals in my head that I want to accomplish the first day and then by day 2 I crash really hard. I didn't do that this year, thanks to the first and last talk of the conference. In the first talk Sister Virginia Hinckley Pearce quoted
Alma 37:6: "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass."

She also talked about a sticky note she kept on her computer that said, "Keep it small, keep it simple, give it time."

Then, Elder Bednar was the last speaker (he is definitely one of my favorite apostles!) He talked about not being a spiritual spurter! The whole talk was fantastic but at the end he talks about being frequent and focused like a drip irrigation system. Not a spurter who "who is given to short bursts of spectacular effort followed by frequent and lengthy periods of rest". "If you and I are focused and frequent in receiving consistent drops of spiritual nourishment, then gospel roots can sink deep into our soul, can become firmly established and grounded, and can produce extraordinary and delicious fruit,”

So, now, I will share some of my favorite quotes and hopefully we can all remember to just take things one day, one step, one moment at a time! :)

It is essential to slow down a little.

PRAYER WORKS!!

Ideals are stars to steer by; They are not a stick to beat ourselves with.

We compare our biggest weaknesses with others' biggest strengths. We become bitter instead of better. "The only person I need to be better than is the person I was yesterday."

We are a work in progress.

I didn't give you this calling to move the rock, but to push. So push along.

We are rather ordinary people trying to do an extraordinary work.

We live with an inseparable connection to the priesthood. Is my home blessed every hour by the strength of priesthood power?

Battle, don't suffer!

We need to be grateful for the giver, not just the gift.

We need to devote more of our prayers to words of gratitude and thanksgiving.

Our possessions can keep us from travelling light in this life.

Do we walk hand in hand together with our spouses and family and the Lord in all our decisions?

Take care of our physical and spiritual well-being...Early to bed, early to rise....exercise....Physical nourishment...Prayer--asking in faith (that was Sister Bednar's talk...it was simple but right to the point...I LOVED it!)


One of my favorite quotes was from the concert Thursday night. Heather and I stay for the concert every year! We LOVE it! And this year was one of the best! (well, until her car broke down on the way home...but luckily 1--at the last minute we took a different route that kept us out of traffic, 2--our neighbor was working late, had just gotten into the car and was able to pick us up within minutes, AND 3--Heather's mechanic was blocks away! Like Heather would say....tender mercies!) :)

Sorry, where was I?! Yes, the concert. Hilary Weeks spoke for a minute and I remember when she said the following quote Heather and I just looked at each other in awe! It was right on! And really made us miss our littles....almost enough to skip Friday's conference...ALMOST! ;)


Click on it to see it. Hopefully you can see it just fine. It just reminded me that yes...I do LOVE being a mother! I love to talk and laugh with my children! I need to listen and love more! It was a powerful thought, "...I will spend eternity knowing my daughter as an adult. But tonight, right here, right now, and for the next few precious years, I have the rare privilege of knowing her as a child. What a gift to experience the children in our lives as children!"

Anyway, women's conference was amazing! I've really enjoyed going through my notes and adding some of my thoughts in my own personal journal. Life is still crazy and sometimes hard, but I'm thankful for the renewed strength I have to read my scriptures, say my prayers and love my family. I need to remember to take everything just one "drip" at a time!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for posting this! It brought back so many memories.

And I am shocked that you didn't mention the fabulous kindness we experienced in getting out of the parking log ;)

The Gardner Family said...

Ha Ha!! I can't believe I blocked that one out! I should add that shouldn't I?! I just don't understand road rage after such a spiritual, uplifting meeting! ;) And to think I thought she was such a nice lady for "letting" us in! ;)