Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sister Missionary Work and Serious Fireworks! :)

 We are blessed to live kinda close to some of my cousins and their kids!  We are always so grateful when they invite us along to some of their family picnics and get-togethers! 

This summer was especially fun as we saw Caleigh get her mission call and prepare to serve in the New Hampshire Manchester mission!  My girls look up to Caleigh and her sisters soooo much!  They were sad to say good bye, but happy to be able to write to her and get letters back (that is...if I could get the letters and pictures they have done to the post office!)
Another sister missionary getting ready to go is my good friend Cassie!  My girls also love this girl and can't wait to go to her farewell in a couple of weeks!  How are these young women soooo strong?!  It is amazing to me how much faith they have, how much they know the scriptures, and crave being in the temple!  Cassie will be amazing speaking Spanish in the Virginia Chesapeake mission!  I love these girls!
It is such a special experience watching these missionaries open their calls.  They are so overcome with the spirit, and then the spirit fills the room and the hearts of everyone there.  It was such a blessing to be there with Cassie's family and friends!
So what is the reason that these youth are so excited to go out and serve for 18 months or 2 years of their lives??  Back in June Matt and I had the chance to go to a missionary fireside down in Provo.  It was mostly a fireside for new mission presidents that were about to go out, but the surrounding stakes were also invited.  We have had many trainings and conferences recently about hastening the work of the Lord and sharing the gospel and our testimonies of the Savior.  Do I open my mouth enough to friends and family that I wish knew of this eternal happiness and plan?  There is so much confusion and darkness in this world, and it is becoming more and more scary to me as I try to teach my kids to choose right over wrong.  I have so many loved ones in my life that are not members of our church that have strong testimonies of God...that have so much faith in prayer...they are such examples to me.  I always want to give them more though and get scared to say too much!  I wish that everyone would read the Book of Mormon.  Just to know for themselves what it says.  The pages are filled with testimony of the words and life of our Savior.  I know that it is not a book just written by man.  I know that the Prophet Joseph Smith was a true prophet and that President Monson is the prophet of God on the earth today!  Although I am thankful that at the age of 21 I got married...I do get jealous of these amazing girls that get to go out and share this message with the world.  I wish I took more opportunity to share it with those I love!
These girls are pioneers of our time!!  Over the 24th of July the state of Utah celebrates Pioneer Day!  I hope that I will have the courage and strength to do what the pioneers did in their day!  They gave everything they had to serve their Heavenly Father, to get to the temple and to continue the work of the Lord!  It might be tons of fun and serious fireworks at the end of our street...but it truly is a celebration of something amazing!  I am thankful to be a part of it all and to witness the growth of so much goodness in the world. In stake conference today our choir sang, "The Spirit of God, Like a Fire is Burning".  The fire is lit!  There is much to do!  "We'll Sing and We'll shout!!"  :)
(fyi:  this is the best neighborhood Grand Finale EVER!!)

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Our former Bishop's daughter returned from the New Hampshire Manchester mission last spring. She had such great experiences there even though it was really hard!

Trish said...

Hey Kandice! This is Trish (Winters) Casey and I do read your blog. The New Hampshire Manchester mission is our mission!! If she ever ends up in the Bar Harbor/Ellsworth/Bucksport area, she'll be in our branch. :o)